Re: [guadec-list] Linux Magazine Guadec ad

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 00:30 +0200, Claus Schwarm wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:29:17 +0200
> Dave Neary <bolsh gnome org> wrote:

> > I think it's best to avoid mentions of money in the ad - it may be an
> > interesting thought experiment, but you don't want to give the
> > impression we're doing features for money.

> Oh, I wasn't expecting you to pick the headline, anyway. This was an
> example for Andreas, remember?

No, But I like it. Why not?

Visiting GUADEC gives you more power, as a user, than having 1,000 euros
that you would give to a hacker. You might work on and distribute ten
ideas, whereas with 1,000 euros you could pay one hacker for maybe a few
weeks to develop two or three features (depending on who you'd hire, of
course).

You might inspire a company or two to commit to your ideas, which might
result in far more money being involved.

It's an if, not a statement like: come to GUADEC, donate 1,000 euros and
we'll hack for you.

For me, the if was like: if you visit GUADEC, you'll have an equal
amount of power to change GNOME, as you would have if you'd donate 1,000
euros. And actually, that is true in my opinion (or can be, depending on
how you participate in the conference).

--
Philip Van Hoof, software developer
home: me at pvanhoof dot be