[guadec-list] Local transport

The local transport is currently the most unpredicted piece of our
budget, depending on what we do we can assure now the sustainability of
GUADEC 2006 with its own resources of we might have a provisional loss
of 8.000€ to be covered with registration fees and new sponsors.

We have two different problems, the day and the night.

During the day we need to move people from The GNOME Villa to the GUADEC
location. There are local buses every 30' at 1€/trip but the regular
service is not enough to move about 300 people more or less at the same
time (specially in the morning, in the afternoon people will probably
split more). We are negotiating a solution with the local transport
public company and we expect to get to an agreement. GUADEC starts just
when the primary school is done, and at least we know that the school
buses are not being used.

Then we have the night. Vilanova hasn't got a night transport
infrastructure. There are night buses from Barcelona or Sitges, but then
there are not night buses connecting the bus/train station to Vilanova
Park, nor a reliable taxi service. Bars in the center and the beach
close at 3am.

Something ideal would be that the public transport company would have
night buses for us, something like 1 bus every hour at 12, 1, 2 and 3.
But I'm not sure they will agree to that. Then we would need to hire
private buses, and this costs more money - specially when talking about
night services.

I also have my doubts about what's our responsibility towards people
partying till late when there are sessions starting at 9-10am next
morning (don't get me wrong, I'm the first one partying till late during
conferences). I mean, if we need to hire buses maybe we can offer just a
minimum service at 1am or so... People wanting less party can stay in
Vilanova Park and organize it (noise allowed until 23h59). People
wanting more party can go to Sitges (big party neighbor town with night
taxi service to bring you back to your bed at any time).

I was also thinking of hiring a van for staff members needing to move
fast and away, carry stuff and respond to emergencies... It shouldn't be
considered a night transport option but at least it would be good to
have it and use it if somebody is having trouble at 4am somewhere.

Feedback is appreciated, specially from those interested in knowing
Vilanova's night life.