[guadec-list] Sponsoring participants' travel, in practice

We are ready to approve the first bunch of travel/sponsorship requests.

What was the procedure followed in previous years? Do sponsored
participants pay in advance and we refund them in Vilanova or do we pay
directly their expenses i.e. booking ourselves their flights?

The complex bit is on travel sponsorship, since it needs to be paid in
advance and has many variables (i.e. booking a British Airways flight to
Barcelona for 300€ instead of a Ryanair flight to Reus for 30€).

A procedure once a sponsorship request is approved could be:

1 - The participant looks for the cheapest option to arrive to Vilanova
and send us the details with a quote.

2 - We approve the quote or we look for an alternative. If we find
something cheaper we cover the cheapest quote.

3 - The participant books and pays, and we will refund in Vilanova with
a GNOME Foundation check or cash, depending on our finances at that
point. If the participant cancels the trip to Vilanova we don't refund.

4 - If the participant declares it's difficult for her/him to get the
cash to do the booking, or he hasn't got a credit/debit card, then we
book (this will make us to assume the cost in case of cancellation).

Accommodation is not an issue since it is paid once you are in Vilanova
and the people we sponsor go by default to our group reservation in the
GNOME Village.

--
Quim Gil - http://desdeamericaconamor.org