[Fwd: Re: Leading freeform sessions]

Hi,

Martin Seviour had some ideas which he felt should be discussed at GUADEC, and this has been in my inbox for a good while now.

There's no gnome-office session planned yet, so I said I would send this to guadec-list to prevent it from being lost in the ether.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary
bolsh gimp org

--- Begin Message ---

> Hi,
>
> Hub, Martin, Jody: welcome to the conversation.

Hi Dave,
        I can't make it to GUADEC this year.

Some points other people might want to raise.

1. Plugins - AbiWord would like to be able to "Lazy load" plugins on
demand. ie Don't load large libraries until they're needed.

2. Embedding. AbiWord now has a generic embedable plugin frame work. We
use it to embed Gnome-Office charts in AbiWord. We could use the same
technique to embed full Gnumeric spreadsheets in AbiWord too. We need a
libGnumeric to do that.

3. Cut and paste. We use XHTML right now. Do we extend this to copy and
paste charts into abiword or something else?

4. Drag and drop. We'd like to able to drag and drop charts and images
between AbiWord and Gnumeric and other GOffice apps.

5. Other GOffice apps. How can we help craiwps along? Since evolution is
embedded in GNOME we get that by default. Wat can we do to help evo
support us? What about database apps, financial apps, other useful apps.

6. Do we want a gnome-productivity suite released in synch with GNOME
every 6 months? What apps should go in this? I'm personally happy to
provide AbiWord releases as needed by GNOME.

7. More discussion of the GNOME-Office collaboration proposal I wrote up
last month.

8. Can we develop link-grammar as a genuine Open-Source gammar checking
library? Can we find anyone interested? How can we find interested people?

Well there are a few points of discussion!

Cheers

Martin

Martin

> Glynn Foster a écrit :
>>>Yes. Perhap it wouldn't be a bad idea to hassle them and soligit a gnome
>>>office session.
>>
>> Yeah, that would probably be more appropriate, although Jody is pretty
>> clued into the platform issue too.
>
> So Glynn and I are hunting down people we think might like to have a
> work session during GUADEC, and hounding them into starting planning now
> so that it's not useless.
>
> Hub, Jody, Martin - how about a GNOME Office session? I don't know what
> kinds of things you'd like to plan, but just getting into a room
> together to decide on how you can improve the office software on GNOME
> (and perhaps get Sven Herzberg if criawps looks at all promising) sounds
> like a good idea.
>
> For the planning, you should probably have a wiki page defining the
> parameters of the meeting (items to discuss, decisions to make, problems
> to address), then have someone be the general leader - the guy who MCs
> things, keeps everyone pulling in the same direction, and stops the
> thing deteriorating into a coffee-break.
>
> How does that sound?
>
> Cheers,
> Dave.
>
> --