Re: GUADEC - Feedback Wrapup

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 21:41, Jon Kåre Hellan wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 08:29, Glynn Foster wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > So, we're already starting to think about next year's GUADEC in Germany.
> > If you attended the conference in Kristiansand let us know what you
> > thought of it. Was there anything that you would change if you were
> > organizing the conference? Was there anything that we did well or badly?
> >
> > Discuss!
>
> Time of week. For hobbyist hackers, particularly those with day jobs and
> families (a set of one?), it would be better to have most of the
> conference on the week-end. This was how it was done back in 2001
> Copenhagen.

I guess this is what discussion is for ;) Personally I like the bulk of
the conference being during the week even though it means using
'holiday' for it (I'm basically a hobbyist). I can't really handle
'working' all weekend as well as all week, it makes sense to me to have
something worklike during work kinda time.

Also, the pre-conference stuff at the weekend - boat trip, guided walk
and generally relaxed start - was good to have.

However, I can understand it being a problem for people with families
who should have their holiday with them rather than away at a
conference. otoh bringing them as well might be an option for some.

> Excellent conference. Thanks to all involved.

Agreed,
Daniel