Re: Getting to GUADEC

Hi Dave and the list.

There are many ferrys eg. colourline from DK to Norway. (Kristianssand and Olso) Colorline has a route from Hirtshals (dk) to Kristianssand (no). price approx 2-300 euro car and passengers (check the web - vacation periods day/night fare reductions etc apply)
The ferry is 4-6 hours, very good ships.
Paris - Hirtshals is approx 1500 km and a 15-20 hours of driving. (highway all the way except small pieces in Germany dept. of route.)

BTW we have lots of ferris in Denmark, check this URL:
http://www.ferry-site.dk/
(by-route - Denmark-Norway)

Tirstrup (Århus ariport) is located at Århus, mid Jutland (dk), bus from airport to århus (1h), train from århus-hjørring (3-4 h), localtrain (or bus) to hirtshals (1h max)

www.rejseplanen.dk is also in english, and is a great lookup db for public transportation in denmark (train, bus ferries etc) Århus airport is called (Tirstrup lufthavn / Djursland) "Tirstrup (Djurs) Djursland is the "nose" part of Jutland. (see a map)
Hirtshals harbour is called: "Hirtshals havn"

My absolut master advice is to drive by car.
Norway is VERY beautifull, and the whole tour can be a master scenic route if you choose the (slower) route along the west /nord coast of
germany, denmark and/or take a few days to drive around norway.
There is a lot of places you can get bead/breakfast look at signs along the road.

Norway is a drivers country (in my opinion), to be able to see the nature, you need a car or a pair of very good boots. (but they don't scale too well) I can especially recommend the Lysa-Fjorden which is a fiord south of Bergen/Stavanger. There is a small ferry which also takes cars (make reservation for the car) and goes all the way along the fiord. On the way you will see the (most) famous two southern norveigan exhibits The Preatcer chair (cliff part viewable from the fiord) and the Kjerkan (A huge cliff/rock piece half way down the crack/gab between 2 cliffs) Well known from posters etc. And of course the worst (highest) steep road, with 29 almost 180degrees turns of the road the way down from approx 3000 meters to 0. (cork-screw road) (use the motorbrake or your brakes will othervise melt from overheating) It is vorth doing, but have good time - often along the tour to the ferry you would really like to stop and get out and take photos, look at the stones put on top of each other etc.

Another way to drive to Kristianssand is via copenhagen, sweden, ferry south of oslo (from the south sweden accros the southern part of the fiord of Olso to south norway - small boat tour I have been recommended) and to Kristianssand. It is a good day trip from copenhagen to Kristianssand.

I hope you got some ideas for your trip.

Regarding the Norweigan airports I have no idea wether you can get there by bus, but Ryan Air often has an agreement with a local buscompany to take you to the nearest citys. Check ryan air homepage and links there.

Sincerely
Kristen Nielsen
Denmark.

Dave Neary wrote:

Hi,

I just spent a few minutes looking at travel options to Norway to see what might be cheap.

Ryanair fly to Aarhus (dk), Haugesund and Torp (no) - which of these is more accessible for Kristiansand?

Easyjet don't fly to Norway, but they'll probably be taking me from Lyon to Stanstead, if Haugesund isn't too far from GUADEC (from the map it looks like Torp is further away).

As Dan Glassey said, Maersk fly to Kristiansand - the cheapest fare I managed taking the train to Paris and flying from there was around 350 euros.

Aside from that, do people have experience with trains, or driving? Can anyone say "Road trip"? :)

Cheers,
Dave.