Re: guadec

Hey,

> I was just wondering about the outcome of Guadec held in dublin, Did it
> do any good in promoting free software and Gnome to the Irish
> government , business and probably most importantly
> colleges/Universities, As a student in the Waterford Instuite of
> Technology I have found it very frustrating promoting Gnome and free
> software as a whole to the College lectures and staff,I have not
> heard/read anything from the government that would suggest that its
> views are changing.

To be honest, I'm quite curious about this as well - at the moment I'm
quite disconnected from the Irish IT industry here in New Zealand. I've
cc'd Tim since he's probably in the position to answer this a little bit
better.

Karlin Lillington did an article about free software after the
conference, but it was a little disappointing from a GNOME point of
view. Leslie worked with the Linux Magazine folks to publish an article,
which you can see here -

	http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/33/GU4DEC_Dublin.pdf

But I think you can safely say that progress is slow. I came up with an
idea that the board organize an initiative to build up a list of
contacts in various universities right around the world, and try and see
if we can get deployments [if even on a minor scale] happening - and
perhaps better, see if we can convince them to start up some university
courses/PhD projects. I haven't had time to figure out the details as
yet.

Glynn