GUADEC 5 (among others) naming proposal: GVADEC

FAIR LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION, PLEASE.
(Yes, this is a yelled crosspost. Bite me.)

Let us start early on this one, so that we can diversify the tasks and distribute the workload and can hence move from cesarean sections to natural conferencebirth. (And do not forget to breathe.)

EVENT:
GUADEC 5

NAMING:
The least important of all possible proposals about the next GUADEC, GUADEC 5 is the one about its naming. So here is mine: GVADEC. Historically, the letter 'U' evolved from the original letter 'V' anyway and the Roman numeral V represents the number 5, as we all know.

LOCATION:
Suggestions on making a reference-to-location match by holding it in Italy were met with memories of bad experiences with Italian organizing talent. This means that the question of the location is not settled yet and possibly will not be for a long time. Leslie Proctor mumbled something about Norway and willing Norwegians, Anne Østergaard (I think) suggested Sweden just across the Øresund bridge. Iceland appears to be not interesting enough and too expensive anyway and my suggestion of holding the next GUADEC somewhere in the Baltic states, maybe even in Lithuania, is largely motivated by reasons completely independent of and unrelated to GNOME. Germany was also mentioned a few times, but since this is KDE-land and we already have a lot of Linux love, the impact of the conference to public awareness would not be too strong. Wherever it will be, the beer needs to be inexpensive and largely available. The same holds true for the food, which also needs to be good. Oh, and there needs to be a considerable team of adventurous local volunteers to scout and scurry and organize.

SCHEDULE:
The buzz at GU4DEC was that GUADEC should be held in spring. This means April 2004. This means that we have a little over nine months to make it all happen again.

FEEDBACK:
"Feed me!"
	- Audrey II, The Little Shop of Horrors.

heigh-ho,

	Daniel