Re: GSoC Project

El 29/03/13 07:31, Marcos Chavarría Teijeiro escribió:
Hi,

I'm really insterested in participating on GSoC 2013 with a Gtranslator
related project. I have seen the entry on ideas page but I have to say
that it's not very clarifying. What kind and improvements are you
thinking about or what problems are more relevant and should be solved
with highest priority in your opinion? On the other hand, I have ask
people from a local localization group [1] about what things they would
like to improve from Gtranslator and I have get only a few (but
interesting) answers because most people don't use Gtranslator even
people who is part of Gnome l10n teams :S. I think that's something that
should be changed and this project could be a good beginning :D

In addition the Gtranslator idea has no mentor assigned so people don't
know who they can ask.

Thanks.

Marcos Chavarría Teijeiro.

[1] http://trasno.net/

Hello,

Thank you very much for your interest in gTranslator. Being part of the
GNOME Spanish l10n team I can tell you gTranslator is actively used to
translate GNOME, at least in our team. It has some features that other
translation tools lack, like plugins, tabs, and panes, that you can move
around and resize. And more importantly, it's built around the GTK3
toolkit, the standard for GNOME applications.

To begin with, bugs should be fixed before starting any enhancements.
There are a lot, some of which arrived when gTranslator was ported from
GTK2, I think. You can check the reported bugs [1] to start with.

There are no mentors because, as far as I know, no one is maintaining
gTranslator now. However, if you show interest, maybe fixing a couple of
bugs, I could mentor you. I know this is probably not the standard way
of doing things (first fixing bugs, then mentoring), but since there is
no mentor assigned, I think there would be no problems.

Finally, I can help you set up the build environment (I've done it a few
times), if you need me to.

Again, thank you very much for your interest in the project. Let me know
if you need more information, and if you want to go ahead with the
project so that I ask to be a mentor.

Cheers!

[1]
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=gtranslator&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&version=HEAD