Re: [Gtranslator-devel] Changing of the charset field in src/languages.c within the GtrLanguages list...

I'm writing now from my 'accomodation' at the lovely Trinite College,
Dublin, at GUADEC. I've spend most of the pre-conference weekend hacking
on the 'merge messages from other PO file' feature request, and I've
been stumbling across all sorts of UTF8 problems, and started to realise
what you meant when you said the UTF8 stuff needed looking into.

The conclusion that I've come to, and I think has been discussed before
somewhere is that most of the UTF8 stuff in gtranslator isn't required
any more, in these days of glib2/gtk2, as everything is dealt with
internally in UTF8. So the only places any conversion to/from UTF8
should be occurring is where a user is loading or saving a file that is
specifically not UTF8.

So, I've been adding loads of '#ifdef UTF8_CODE' compiler conditionals
to mark out all the UTF8 code I think is now redundant. Things are far
simpler now. I suggest leaving the conditionals in, maybe for a couple
of weeks, until we're sure it's 'the Right Thing(tm)', then we remove
that stuff completely.

So in answer to your question, I think we should remove that field
altogether, and default it to UTF8 everywhere. If a user wants to work
with a non-UTF8 encoding, they can set it in their preferences, and have
gtranslator g_convert stuff on load/save.

--
Ross