Re: Unparenting from GtkWidget "destroy"

On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 9:26 AM Baldvin Kovacs <baldvin kovacs gmail com> wrote:
Andrew Potter <agpotter gmail com> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. júl. 8., P, 17:30):

On Fri, Jul 8, 2022, 4:01 AM Baldvin Kovacs via gtkmm-list <gtkmm-list gnome org> wrote:

2. Expose the destroy signal handler, and document that one needs to unparent children both from that, and in the destructor.

Is this a new warning? My initial thought is this should be a feature of Gtk::manage rather than making everybody hook destroy to unparent.

Not really new:

08d644c4a53 (Timm Bäder                 2016-12-07 14:05:34 +0100  7558)       g_warning ("Finalizing %s %p, but it still has children left:",
08d644c4a53 (Timm Bäder                 2016-12-07 14:05:34 +0100  7559)                  gtk_widget_get_name (widget), widget);

My hypothesis about why this didn't bother people so far: up until recently the normal style even in the core Gtk was to inherit from Box (see for example GtkColorChooserWidget). Recently there was a lot of cleanup and widgets nowadays directly inherit from GtkWidget. That is the pattern I was attempting to follow in my own application as well (it is cleaner: it doesn't expose internal implementations through public inheritance, namely, that the internal structure of the widget is a box).

Out of the two custom widget examples in gtkmm-documentation/examples/book/custom one is a custom widget which does painting (and has no child widgets), and the other is using C++ destructor based destruction mechanism. I assume that not many people were trying to do custom widgets _and_ using them in a managed manner.

Can you share an example? Is your custom widget implemented in C owned by something wrapped in gtkmm? Are you focused on gtk3 or gtk4?  I know I've made some custom widgets and not seen this warning, though I'm not certain they derived from Widget; I recall there is quite a bit of care put into handling containers. Gtk4 also got rid of Gtk::Container so the details of exactly how you're eliciting this will be helpful.