Styling labels?

I'm sure this question has been asked to death but...

I've been searching and searching, trying to find out how to do the following things:

1. Change the font size of one particular label
2. Change the background colour of that label

I've found lots of examples using style sheets, but none of them work. Several didn't give me compilation errors, but when I tried them nothing happened. If someone could just give me a pointer to documentation that explains:

1. What are the proper selectors to style a label
2. What are the allowed values to be modified in the style sheet
3. What is the general "proper" calls to make to use that style sheet

Right now I don't have any idea whether my style sheet is wrong or I'm using the wrong calls as I'm just sort of flailing at the problem.