Glib::Property and read / write settings

Hi,
I have derived a class out of Glib::Object and I'm using Glib::Property in it. I'm able to get the properties to work except for figuring out one thing.

Some of the properties are required to be read-only while others can allow read/write access. The read-only properties are initialized like below.

m_propA(*this,
        "p0904",
        "<some nick name>",
        "<some property description",
        Glib::PARAM_READABLE)

My understanding was that, irrespective of whether a property is read-only or read/write, the object that installs the property (including its derived classes) can both read as well as write. However for other classes (which only have access to an instance of this object) can only read from it. I wrote a little test code to confirm this theory but to my surprise everyone had read/write access!
What could I be doing wrong?

Also is there any means where if any of the properties of an object is modified, the object gets 'notified'? I found the statement below in GObject Reference Manual (https://developer.gnome.org/gobject/stable/gobject-properties.html).
Once the property has been set by the object's set_property class method, execution returns to g_object_set_property which makes sure that the "notify" signal is emitted on the object's instance with the changed property as parameter unless notifications were frozen by g_object_freeze_notify.
However I couldn't see any in Glib::Object documentation. Please suggest.

Please consider the Environment before printing this e-mail.

The information contained in this message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the contents to any other person.  If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and permanently delete this message and any attachments from your system.  Any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.  Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change.

SKANRAY(including its group of companies) shall not be liable for any omission or error in the message, improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this communication or for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system.  SKANRAY(or its group of companies) does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained or that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.