Re: Slow Compilation of Small Projects

Hello,

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 8:16 PM, Daniel Boles <dboles src gmail com> wrote:
If I had to guess, I'd say this was due to the, IMO weird, way that GTK+ and
GLib forbid direct inclusion of any header except their top-level one, which
then includes every other. <gtkmm/enums.h> includes <gtk/gtk.h> and hence
the rest. <gtkmm/widget.h> includes <gtkmm/enums.h>. You can guess the
rest...

Okay. I understand why that might have been done, but it seems like it
would be useful to design around it if possible.

Separate from that, though, I'd ask: what kind of compile times did you
expect instead? e.g. based on which other libraries of comparable scale?

Most small C files, up to fairly large multi-project files, will
compile nearly instantaneously even when linked against complex
projects. I realize C++ is vastly more complicated, but I remember
compilation being similar in a lot of cases.

It could be that GTK+ is exceptional. If so that is fine, but I think
it would be wise to consider improvements as time permits.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1