Re: New versioning scheme in gtk+. And in gtkmm?

On Thu, 2016-11-10 at 12:15 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
Because we are creating a new parallel-installable gtkmm ABI (gtkmm-
4.0), for use with GTK+ 4.0, this is a fairly good time to do the
same
with glibmm, though glib will not have a new ABI at this time.

That let's us remove some deprecated API and let's us depend on the
newer, simpler (because it's C++14) libsigc++-3.0. That means that
gtkmm-4.0 would require C++14, but I think that should be fine for
anyone who's likely to want to use it.

The last stable version of glibmm (the glibmm-2.4 ABI) was glibmm
2.50,
so we would have to call our new glibmm ABI glibmm-2.52. That's not
pretty, but I don't see a better alternative. We can't call it
glibmm-
3.0 because that would cause problems when there is a glib-3.0 one
day.

I have pushed the changes to the git master branches.

So we now have:
* glibmm-2.52 instead of glibmm-2.4
* cairomm-1.14 instead of cairomm-1.0
* pangomm-2.42 instead of pangomm-1.4
* atkmm-2.26 instead of atkmm-1.6
* gtkmm-3.0 instead of gtkmm-2.4

That is a bit of a mess, so I welcome alternative suggestions, though I
 guess this is how it must be.