TreeViewColumn with multiple editable CellRenderers

Hi

I need a TreeViewColumn with multiple CellRenderers, of which some are editable. The following code works fine for the purpose:

Gtk::TreeViewColumn *itemViewCol = Gtk::manage(new Gtk::TreeViewColumn(""));
itemViewCol->pack_start(m_itemStoreCols.selected, false);
Gtk::TreeView_Private::_connect_auto_store_editable_signal_handler<bool>(m_itemView, itemViewCol->get_cells()[0], m_itemStoreCols.selected);
itemViewCol->pack_start(m_itemStoreCols.icon, false);
itemViewCol->pack_start(m_itemStoreCols.text, true);
Gtk::TreeView_Private::_connect_auto_store_editable_signal_handler<Glib::ustring>(m_itemView, itemViewCol->get_cells()[2], m_itemStoreCols.text);
m_itemView->append_column(*itemViewCol);

But the only way I found to accomplish this is by calling

Gtk::TreeView_Private::_connect_auto_store_editable_signal_handler

like TreeView::append_column_editable does. I'm somewhat unconfortable using functions from Gtk::TreeView_Private, so my question is whether this is indeed the only way, and if so whether there is a reason why there is no pubblic API to accomplish this? If not, what about a method such as

template <class ColumnType> inline
TreeView::set_cell_editable(CellRenderer* pCellRenderer, const TreeModelColumn<ColumnType>& model_column)
{
TreeView_Private::_connect_auto_store_editable_signal_handler<ColumnType>(this, pCellRender, model_column);
}

?

Thanks
Sandro