Re: gtkmm-list Digest, Vol 147, Issue 4

Not to stand in the way of other users who might have valid logistical barriers to that - but fwiw, I don't and would be very enthusiastically in favour of requiring -std=c++14

The appeal of gtkmm to me is its cutting-edge adoption of modern C++ standards and recommended techniques, especially when compared to the competition... who are only recently trying, and even slower in broadcasting it. In contrast, gtkmm advertises it proudly. And this leads to it having all the power of its much less readable bedrock BUT while producing the most readable GUI code I've seen so far.

btw, for sake of pedantry, GCC 6 defaults to -std=gnu++14 which allows non-standard extensions - none of which I can name, because I specifically avoid such things!

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 1:00 PM, <gtkmm-list-request gnome org> wrote:
Message: 2
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 12:19:40 +0200
From: Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com>
To: gtkmm-list <gtkmm-list gnome org>
Subject: C++14

Our current stable versions require C++11. Does anybody object to us
requiring C++14 for the current unstable versions, which will become
the next stable versions? GCC 6 uses C++14 by default.

We don't need C++14 for anything urgently but it would be nice to have
some little things such as decltype(auto) and std::make_unique().