Re: Shouldn't Glib::ustring::raw() return const char* ?

Den 2016-08-02 kl. 08:03, skrev John Emmas:
I just updated my compiler to VS2015 after using VS2005 for many years. I built a small test app and linked it to my DLLs (which are still built with the older compiler). Ultimately, they'll be getting built with the new compiler and I was aware of some things to avoid (such as not allocating memory in a DLL and trying to release it in the new app etc). But I didn't anticipate the problem with std::string. Consider this example:-

      void some_func()
      {
            std::string test = Glib::get_application_name();
      }

'test' is a std::string in the format expected by VS2015 - whereas (in my case) the call to 'get_application_name()' returns a std::string in the format that was known to VS2005 - so calling that function from my new app is guaranteed to crash my program. I figured that if I could obtain the application name in a POD char array, that might help - and I quickly discovered that this change seemed fix things:-

            std::string test = Glib::get_application_name().c_str();

but when I mentioned it on a popular programming forum, someone pointed out that if the above was working, that was purely a case of luck. Then something occurred to me...

Wouldn't it make more sense if 'Glib::ustring::raw()' returned 'const char*' rather than returning 'const std::string'? Or to put it another way... shouldn't 'Glib::ustring::raw()' return 'string_.cstr()' instead of just returning 'string_'?

Or is there some other function that'll return the raw (POD type) data?

John
Glib::ustring::raw() and Glib::ustring::operator std::string() return string_.
Glib::ustring::c_str() returns string_.c_str().
Glib::ustring::data() returns string_.data().
What more do you want? Or is it the name "raw" that you find misleading?

Kjell