giomm DBus service throwing errors on connection establishment

Hello,
I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I found nothing especially about giomm. I'm trying to write a basic dbus service. The methods work, but as soon as I use properties I get the following error once per property upon connection establishment (through a Gio::DBus::Proxy in a sample program):

(process:11770): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_ref_sink: assertion `value != NULL' failed

When I try to access the properties through d-feet, the service crashes with following output:

(process:12556): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_ref_sink: assertion `value != NULL' failed
**
GLib-GIO:ERROR:/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.36.0/./gio/gdbusconnection.c:4096:invoke_get_property_in_idle_cb: assertion failed: (error != NULL)

The property_get slot is set and the function also gets called, but I don't know how to return a value in this function (the only glibmm dbus example I found is http://pastebin.com/YWrC615R and the documentation didn't help me either).

How are SlotInterfaceGetProperty and SlotInterfaceSetProperty supposed to be used?