Re: How to update both the Console and the GTKMM gui window after running other functions

On 7/31/2013 9:24 AM, L. D. James wrote:
Java is very easy.  The Window and Frame is up and has a buffer.  All you have to do is just append or change the buffer.  The window will always  reflect the content of the buffer you modify.

And you can do this in gtkmm as well.  I think someone else already posted a way to do that as part of window initialization.  My concern is that unless you're doing your (long) computation in a separate thread, you may tie up window message processing, which will typically prevent/delay normal window behaviors like repaint.  You don't want to do that.

My problem is how to be in my routine while the window is displayed.

That's why you use multiple threads.  It lets "you" be in two places at the same time, both the GUI message-processing thread and your computational thread.

I believe it should take priority over the signals I'm currently trying to understand (which I have to admit, I don't).

The signals concept is very powerful, but it's also very difficult to grasp in some ways.  You don't have to understand the implementation to use signals.  I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it, personally.

I have lots of work cut out for me.

Good luck.  If you're not familiar with threaded programming, this is a great exercise for learning it, and it's widely useful for gtkmm and other stuff.

-- Alan