Re: GMenu, GAction and GtkBuilder

On Mo, 2013-11-25 at 16:59 +0100, Kjell Ahlstedt wrote:
2013-10-08 09:03, Murray Cumming skrev:
So, here's one last call, please, for criticism of the API before it
becomes stable API in a couple of days.

Murray

Murray, in commit
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtkmm/commit/?id=caf1165105d078a2cdc92caa14a1ebfc6724e6ef you undeprecated
Gtk::ActionGroup, Activatable, Action, RadioAction, RecentAction, ToggleAction, and UIManager.

I looked at it more closely than before, when I updated the gtkmm
tutorial, and I think there are some issues.
      * When I deprecated those classes, I could not use
        _IS_DEPRECATED on Action and Activatable. I added an
        "//_IS_DEPRECATED" comment, and decrecated every method,
        signal, and property separately. You did not remove those
        deprecations. They still remain. I suppose they shall be
        removed.

Yes, please. We should release that in a bug-fix release.

      * In UIManager you undeprecated property "add_tearoffs" (but not
        set/get_add_tearoffs()). That property and those methods have
        been deprecated since gtk+ 3.4 according to the docs in gtk+.
        I suppose property "add_tearoff" shall remain deprecated.

Please just fix this in master. Adding a deprecating is more of a
disruption than removing a deprecation.

I can fix those issues, if you agree they shall be fixed.

Thanks. Sorry for not replying soon enough.

When I updated the tutorial, I did not change the "Menus and Toolbars"
chapter where Gtk::Action and relatives, and UIManager are described.
It's a bit confusing now when the text describes Gtk::Action and
Gtk::UIManager, and the examples use Gio::SimpleAction and
Gtk::Builder. But since Gio::SimpleAction and Gtk::Builder can't yet
completely replace Gtk::*Action and UIManager, I thought it best to
leave it as it is for a while. What do you think?

Maybe we should revert the changes to those examples, in a stable
branch, and put the changes in git master only.

www.openismus.com