RE: How to update both the Console and the GTKMM gui window after running other functions

Ah. You need to call the thread init routine first. Can't remember the syntax now. Perhaps someone else can remind me or I'll check later when I get back to my office.

Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com)

-----Original Message-----
From: L. D. James [ljames apollo3 com]
To: Mazer, Alan S (389M) [Alan S Mazer jpl nasa gov]
CC: gtkmm-list gnome org [gtkmm-list gnome org]
Subject: Re: How to update both the Console and the GTKMM gui window after running other functions

Thanks, Alan.  It compiles without errors.  When run I get this error at the console:

        Threads aren't supported!

// c++ code begin
// -----------------------------------------------------------
#include <gtkmm.h>
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

class myLabel: public Gtk::Window
{
// blah blah blah
public:
myLabel();
virtual ~myLabel();

protected:
Gtk::Label m_label;
string labeltext;
string newtext;
void myprocess1(void);
};

myLabel::myLabel() :
m_label("Hello World")
{
// myLabel.set_text("hello"); // This line gives errors (*1)
void myprocess1();

set_title("Gtkmm Programming - C++");
add(m_label);

m_label.show();

Glib::Thread::create(sigc::mem_fun(*this, &myLabel::myprocess1), true);

cout << "Window should be displayed" << endl;
}

myLabel::~myLabel()
{
}

void myLabel::myprocess1(void)
{
labeltext = "About to preform a number of processes.\n";
labeltext += "Each process may take up to three hours.\n";
labeltext += "Please carry your daily chores and wait.\n";
cout << labeltext << endl;
m_label.set_text(labeltext);

sleep(10); // Back from a three hour function
newtext = "Back from a three hour function\n";
labeltext += newtext;
m_label.set_text(labeltext);
cout << newtext << endl;

sleep(10); // Back from a three hour function
newtext = "Back from another three hour function\n";
labeltext += newtext;
m_label.set_text(labeltext);
cout << newtext << endl;
}

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
if (!Glib::thread_supported())
Glib::thread_init();
else
{
cerr << "Threads aren't supported!" << endl;
exit(1);
}

Gtk::Main kit(argc, argv);

myLabel mylabel;