Re: opening a child window

On Tue, 2013-04-23 at 16:44 -0400, Andy Gilman wrote:
[snip]
Thank you for these quick and helpful responses.  I am still a bit
perplexed, and in the interests of brevity and clarity I may have
omitted relevant info.  If I put the "some_window.show() function in
the Main file (where the primary window is called through "return
app->run(primary_window), it works fine.  But I was hoping to call the
"some_window" from a button click in the primary_window.  I have set up
such a button and it is functional.  I do not get any error messages,
but I also do not get any child window.  Perhaps the pattern I am
attempting is not desirable programming?
[snip]

I suspect that you are doing this:

void somemethod()
{
  Gtk::Window mywindow
  mywindow.show();
} //mywindow is now deleted because it is out of scope

rather than this:

void somemethod()
{
  m_mywindow = new Gtk::Window();
  mywindow->show();
}

But if you show some simple code then people can tell you what you are
doing wrong. This is rather simple stuff.

www.openismus.com