Re: Why does this behave the way it does?

Hi Doc,

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 17:24:49 -0700 you wrote:

> At this point, I expected that each notional cell would be 8 pixels wide
> and 16 pixels high.
>
> But it sounds like you don't agree that this will be true unless I'm lucky.
> Is that so?

It's not quiet as simple as that. However, in the absence of
constraints, that is what you get. Unfortunately the text boxes you
placed in there may constitute constraints. 8 pixels is not much, and
as I recall you put the string "1234*" into a box occupying five cells.
Most fonts will not fit that way. It then becomes impossible to fit the
widgets as defined. You expect the window to grow, which means GTK
would violate your size specification. I'm not saying you're wrong,
just that it's not the only possible answer.

> And if that is so, how do I tell gtkmm that this is the size I require each
> cell to be? (The whole point of this exercise being to get a table with
> constant, predictable cell size, into which monospaced text can later be
> written.)

I think what you're actually looking for is probably gtk_sheet from the
gtk+-extra library. Certainly the GPSim development team found that
was the best solution to that requirement.

HTH,
Rob