Glib::ustring C escape sequence conversion

Hi All,

I am running in to an issue- I need to have the user input a delimiter which may contain non-printable characters (Mostly \r\n and such, but these may be different from the current line-ending, and strange delimiters are not inconceivable). Right now I'm using a Gtk::Entry and prepopulating it with the currently set delimiter. I would like to have the user type in "mydelim\r\n" and have the program convert this to the equivalent byte sequence. I can do the string processing myself, but, as ustring seems to have methods for *everything*, I was guessing that there is some nicer way to do this than manual processing. I was also wondering if there are ways of doing the inverse process for nicer display. If there isn't, I'm sorry for wasting your time :/

Thanks!

--
Robert Mason