Re: use of a single file for the "programming with gtkmm" book

On Sun, 2011-10-30 at 21:02 +0000, lecas malecas wrote:
> Hi,
> currently the gtkmm book uses docbook, and has all content in a single
> file (root/docs/tutorial/C/gtkmm-tutorial-in.xml), which makes it
> really hard to edit it.

Having it in a single file avoids having to duplicate (or complicatedly
include) some of the entity reference variables such as the gtkmm
version number.

> What I'm wondering, is why isn't each chapter in its own file, it
> would facilitate changes.

I don't think it's so hard.

> Also, why is docbook used instead of plain html?
> Html is more known, so it would be easier to edit as-well.

DocBook is far more expressive than HTML and allows
- translation to other languages.
- conversion to other formats, such as integration with DevHelp.
and it's just a standard for documentation.

www.openismus.com