Label.set_pattern does not work in Gtkmm

Hello,

I am taking my (relatively) first steps in learning Gtkmm. I used the
examples in "Programming with Gtkmm" and they were working properly until
the program in Label section (6.1 I think).
The program compiles and links and is executed but the underline effect is
never shown.

I have test it in other circumstances and it don't do what it was supposed
to.

Simple code as that:
m_Label.set_pattern("_ _");
m_Label.set_test("ABC");
m_Box.pack_start(m_Label);

does not underline A and C. (In the above code m_Label is Gtk::Label and
m_Box is a Gtk::Box).

Any idea what's going on? The documentation is really incomplete,
set_pattern as a member function does not provide a single line of
information!