Re: what font is actually used?

We're getting a bit away from the original question now, because now we're
talking about attributes (which I'm sure will be useful to know about
later, so it's not at all wasted information), but the original request was
about discovering what font is actually loaded when some particular font is
requested.
I dislike being wrong as much as the next guy :-)
... quote:

"I believe that this is the correct way to set the font to be used in a label:"

I interpreted your original message to say that I should call
get_attributes() and look at the family name. But, as I said, the
documentation seems to suggest (and so does your most recent e-mail) that
get_attributes() simply returns what was set with set_attributes() ... but
if that's true then it can't possibly give me information I don't already
have, such as the name of the font that's actually in use.

Maybe I'll get time to experiment later today (I live in hope of time
expanding :-) ).

   Doc

Have a look in System/Preferences/Appearance/Fonts (if you're on a Gnome desktop). The gtkmm app should be using your (Gtk) defaults.

Ian