Re: keyboard_tooltip

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 18:45 +0000, Carlos Lopez Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm implementing tooltips for a tree view. When defining the signal
> handler:
>

> on_my_tree_view_tolltip_query(int x, int y, bool keyboard_tooltip,
> const Glib::RefPtr<Gtk::Tooltip>& tooltip);
>

> as shown in the Tooltip example
> http://developer.gnome.org/gtkmm-tutorial/unstable/sec-tooltips.html
>

> I don't know what to do or what does mean the 'keyboard_tooltip'
> argument.

The keyboard_tooltip argument tells whether the signal_query_tooltip()
signal was triggered not by a mouse movement but by means of using key
presses on the keyboard.  If that argument is true, the x and y values
to the slot are invalid and cannot be used to determine if the tooltip
should be shown.  This is all explained in the C docs for the
"tooltip-query" signal of the GtkWidget class:

http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkWidget.html#GtkWidget-query-tooltip

Maybe gmmproc could be enhanced to include such docs for signals?

> Is there any documentation on that?
>

> Also I've found that there is a documentation mistake. At the start of
> the previous link says:
>

> "Tooltips are the little information windows that pop up when you
> leave your pointer over a widget for a few seconds. Use
> set_tooltip_text() to set a text string as a tooltip on any Widget.
> Gtk::ToolItems are not Widgets, but have the same method for
> convenience. Gtk::Tooltip is used for more advanced tooltip usage,
> such as showing an image as well as text."

The Gtk::ToolItem sentence is probably not worded properly.