Threading: Non joinable.. where does the thread go?

Hey all,

I'm busy implementing a couple of classes with multi-threading.. using the following:
thread = Glib::Thread::create( sigc::mem_fun( *this, &Mixer::addTrackThreaded ), false);

Now I'm wondering, once its created where does it go? I've declared the "thread" object like so:
static Glib::Thread* thread;

I'm asking, after the thread has finished the Mixer::addTrackThreaded() function, what happens it?

Does it still exist, and just "sleep" until that same code is ran again?

Or does Glib::Thread::create() automatically deallocate the thread resources, and create it again next time
that code is run?

Cheers, -Harry