Cannot load TIFF image

I'm trying to load an display TIFF images via a Gdk::Pixbuff

Glib::RefPtr<Gdk::Pixbuf> img = Gdk::Pixbuf::create_from_file("bluemarble2_1_4.tif");

It doesn't work and gives me the following errors

(proj:24131): glibmm-CRITICAL **:
unhandled exception (type Glib::Error) in signal handler:
domain: gdk-pixbuf-error-quark
code  : 0
what : Failed to load image '/home/kling/bluemarble/4/bluemarble2_1_4.tif': Failed to open TIFF image

The image exist and is displayable in Gimp. Only gimp gives we the warning

"/home/kling/bluemarble/4/bluemarble2_1_4.tif: invalid TIFF directory; tags are not sorted in ascending order"

This warning has nothing to do with the image itself, but with the METAdata. Is this the problem and if can I still load the image

Regards

Kees Kling