Reading From A Pipe

I am trying to read a line from a pipe. After several different tests, I get the same results.
The child is a program that sends 8 lines up the pipe to the Gtkmm application.

The first line is read and displayed. Only one line!

The second time, 8 more lines are sent up the pipe.
I get the 7 remaining lines from the first group of lines plus only the first line of the second group. 8 lines total.

Then 8 more lines are displayed in the same pattern, 7 from the preceeding group and only the first from the new group.
This pattern continues until the child stops sending.

It seems like the receive end of the pipe does not show that there is remaining lines of data.

Can someone help?