Re: fast gtkmm widget displaying list ???

You might also try adding the rows before the model has been added to
the view, or removing the model temporarily while doing that.

I had to realize that in an application for a specific machine (a processor around 400mhz), the performance gain was very large.

2010/3/19 Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com>
On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 11:49 +0100, Dimitri Holz wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm looking for a fast gtkmm-widget which can display a text list whith
> icons and expanders with information inside it, like treeview. I always
> tried it with treeview, but treeview is able to load 1000 rows per
> second on my pc and I need to load 20000 rows per second. I have windows
> xp and when I write a .NET application and use .NET-treeview it works
> (it loads 20000 rows/s), but I don't wont to develop application with
> microsoft.NET, I prefer Gtkmm.
>
> I noted that when I load a row into gtkmm-treeview, that a resize-signal
> of Gtk::Window object how added the treeview, will be setted. Propably
> this is one of problem? (20000/s setting signal -> redrawing whole
> window 20000/s). What does treeview doing each time when an row added,
> maybe there something what I don't need but it uses much of cpu-speed or
> so? Is it possible to create 20000 whole rows where nothing will be
> displayed and refreshing them by loading rows, maybe this can speed up?

You should try using fixed-height-mode, so the TreeView doesn't need to
keep recalculating things:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtkmm/stable/classGtk_1_1TreeView.html#ad766f587003dc152e1722cd3be0cedc6

I think you also need to call set_sizing(TREE_VIEW_COLUMN_FIXED) on each
TreeViewColumn:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtkmm/stable/classGtk_1_1TreeViewColumn.html#a8ca8b2ab3d86603f6356030c57935056

Tell us if that works for you. I'd like to add a section to the book
about it.

www.openismus.com