undefined reference to symbol 'operator new(unsigned int)@@GLIBCXX_3.4'

I have an embryonic project with a few C and C++ files that compiled, linked and run well under Fedora 12.
I upgraded to Fedora 13 and now get link errors as below.

The error appears on a module where I have a DrawingArea class.
I think it is unlikely the issue is in my program.
I thought it was in ld, but I downloaded the latest binutils from upstream and I still got the issue.
I am now suspecting a problem in glibc, but have made little progress on this.
Or it could be in one of the GTK modules.

Does anybody have an idea on how to proceed with debugging this?

/usr/bin/ld: myarea.o: undefined reference to symbol 'operator new(unsigned int)@@GLIBCXX_3.4'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'operator new(unsigned int)@@GLIBCXX_3.4' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation