listview question

I have been trying to learn Gtkmm for a couple of months, so am quite a
newbie.  I am making a small program which has a simple listview that
lists my passwords and usernames.  I would like to be able to update it
(delete an entry or add one) and have the new - updated - information
replace the old information.  After some struggle I have been able to do
this, essentially by redoing just about everything (eg. recreating the
treemodel)  Here is the code, which I hope illustrates this (basically
copied from the Programming with Gtkmm):

	listview.remove_all_columns();
	refTreemodel = Gtk::ListStore::create(column);
	listview.set_model(refTreemodel);
	etc.

This works, so I am not asking for specific help.  But it seems to me
that this is an ungainly way of doing what must be a pretty common task.
My question is:  is there a relatively simple way to update (delete and
replace) the contents of a treeview/listview?  (I have looked around the
web to find a suggestion and have not found any, but I may easily have
missed something, in fact, many things).

Thanks.

Andy Gilman