treeview/scrolled box resizing

I have a treeview associated with a scrollbar in a box, but I no matter
what, the treeview insists on resizing to "show" all of it's contents,
making the scrollbar useless, and possibly extending the window way off
the bottom of the screen (making the whole thing useless).

The window can then not be resized smaller by any means. How do I
prevent this behavior?

I'm not completely sure that it's the treeview, actually.  I've never
had this problem with gtk or treeviews, but normally I don't use
scrollbars.

I've been screwing with the "adjustment" settings, this does not seem to
make any difference either -- since the scrollbar is always completely
extended, they seem meaninless.  I've played with all the packing
parameters too.  What's the deal?

--
MK <halfcountplus intergate com>