Re: Not sure how to install gtkmm,glibmm,libglademm

Zhou Xiyuan wrote:
> Hi gtkmm group,
>
>   How are you going?
>
>   I am a new linux developer, I want to install glibmm, gtkmm,
> libglademm into my Fedora 6 OS, but I am not sure which version of those
> software I should choose,
> and I find a dependency graphs for gtkmm at URL
> "http://www.gtkmm.org/jhbuild_dot_gtkmm.png";,
>
>    1. Can you tell me what is difference between blue shape and yellow
>       shape, (does yellow mean not necessary?)
>    2. Can you give me a suggestion what version I should choose for
>       glibmm, gtkmm and libglademm, or any other libs necessary?
> Thanks and Best wishes,
>
> zhouxy from china

Hi Zhou,

I read in your mail that you are a new developer, and if you're new to
gtkmm, compiling the libraries from scratch is way too much work.

Besides that, there are binary packages. For Fedora/Redhat this means
you can use 'yum'. I never used Fedora before so I can't say for sure,
but my impression is that you can download the debian binaries, and
install/convert them using yum. Look at the download page of the gtkmm
project:

http://www.gtkmm.org/download.shtml

Take care you install both the binaries (the .so files) and the
development packages (as noted on the download page). Another thing you
might try is installing the .rpm's from this page:

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=gtkmm24-devel

but again, I'm just guessing this will be helpful.

Once you've done that go to the gtkmm documentation and try to compile
something basic:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtkmm-tutorial/unstable/sec-basics-simple-example.html.en

This should get you up and running in a reasonable amount of time.

About the dependency graph:

  1. The blue shapes indicate that these libraries are part of the gnome
project. (For example: pango (part of gnome) depends on glib (part of
gnome) and cairo (not part of gnome).)

  2. Using the packages, your package manager should take care of the
dependencies and the right version of these dependencies.

I hope this will get you started :)

--Bert

P.S. libglademm is deprecated in favor of Gtk::Builder, so better use
builder right from the start, instead of libglademm. (You can create
builder files from .glade files using the program 'gtk-builder-convert'
which should be installed with the packages.)