Beyond the Examples

I'm writing a somewhat complex gui application with gtkmm and glade,
and I've run into a design problem that I'm unsure of how to solve.
Rather than kludging together a solution that simply works, I figured
it would be a good idea to consult the experts.

Consider the following situation: I have a program with a main window
class. Upon starting, an object of class MainWindow is created, and
that is passed to kit.run(). MainWindow includes all of its widgets as
private members, including some derived widgets (such as a secondary
window that can be opened or closed from MainWindow.)

Now, here's the problem: I need to figure out how to get widgets in my
secondary window to interact with widgets in MainWindow, and vice
versa. I could define and attach all the signals from within the
MainWindow class, but defining secondary window's signal handlers
there seems cumbersome and incorrect. How should I go about this?

I haven't included any code because I feel that this is more of a
conceptual/structural problem, but if anyone wants me to include that
or any other information, I'd be willing to oblige, as the above
description may not be sufficient.
-Alex