accelerator key doesn't work

I have implemented accelerator keys on a menu using the
Gtk::Widget::add_accelerator() with the string 'activate'. First I added
an accelerator group to the top level window. This works well except for
one key. I am trying to link in the delete key on the edit menu without
any decoration (control/alt/shift) and it just doesn't seem to work. I
don't seem to get any menu callbacks when the edit/delete option is
enabled and I press the delete key. The label does appear. Should this
work? Are there any sample apps that I can look at?

TIA,
Chuck