Cover a Gtkmm::button?

Is there any way (either by using different container widgets, DrawingAreas,
etc)
to cover a button for a brief predefined time?

I'd like to display a button that moves over another button (using
Fixed::move) but once I get to the point of any overlap, the button I've
essentially run-into gets destroyed.

Perhaps if they were on separate widgets they'd just glide over each other
(as if the widgets served as a sheet of glass between them)?

If there's any way to fake/simulate this covering of a button with any
visual object to obscure it, I'd love some input on this;
Even a false image of a button is fine, its just an attempt at the visual
nuance of movement over a button.

I'm new to gtkmm --  comments, abstract pseudocode , or snippets of "the
real deal" - anything that could make this happen or nudge me in the right
direction is welcome.

Lemma