Re: gnome account for libvtemm

2009/3/13 Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com>:
> On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 01:11 +0100, Krzesimir Nowak wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have almost finished wrapping vte 0.16 and 0.17 versions (tarballs
>> available at [1])and I have several questions:
>
> Well done. Is there any reason that you have not used the normal
> directory structure for *mm modules?

Mostly because of testing.

1. I wanted to test if it could be build by using standard autotools -
I mean by executing `autoreconf && ./configure && make && make
install', without autogen.sh. And ideally with no warnings from
automake, but it is daydreaming and I didn't do anything in this case.

2. I was curious if maintainer mode is really needed. What's the point
having it?

3. I wanted to test if my build system will pass `make distcheck' with
having a generated file patched for some reason (well, I had one
reason, until I discovered a no_default_handler clause in
_WRAP_SIGNAL...). Standard build system didn't pass this case, so I
tried to use a BUILT_SOURCES feature. It still doesn't work though.

4. I just wondered if there is a way to make it simple to reuse,
without having to rename a lot of content in files. In the end I
thought of making a build system, which, in simpler cases, needed
changes only in configure.ac and Makefiles having a list of files, but
file names are problematic.

5. I was wondering if livbvtemmconfig.h is needed/used. For now, I
thrown that out.

6. I had a feeling that standard build system is bit rusty and it
needed a sort of review and some fixes (like --enable-use-deprecations
case or little fix in checking for GNU m4 [caret before `GNU' and
space after `4' should be removed, because m4 --version have `GNU m4'
phrase inside parentheses in the middle of the line.])

But I still have normal directory structure somewhere on drive, so if
my build system is unacceptable, returning to standard one is matter
of copying more recent source codes from one build system to another.

>> 1. Bugzilla showed that vte is a part of desktop category, so it is
>> good to assume it is part of GNOME? If so, should a Vte namespace be
>> inside Gnome namespace?
>
> I would do that, yes.
>
>> 2. Is it a good idea to request an account on gnome.org for libvtemm?
>> Then it would be a part of gnomemm.
>
> Yes, please. Here are instructions:
> http://live.gnome.org/NewAccounts
>
> It's the gnomemm module that you want access for. Please ask me if
> anything is unclear.

Thanks, I'll do it when I finish the Gnome namespace thing.