Re: Windows installers for gtkmm development and runtime environments

On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 14:26 -0600, Philip Allison wrote:
> Hullo all,
>   I've been looking at getting a little gtkmm app I wrote up and running
> on Windows using MinGW, and have run into a few rough edges.  Firstly,
> although the glib-gettextize binary is included, the tool doesn't work,
> because the ${prefix}/share/glib-2.0 directory and its contents aren't
> included in the development environment - fortunately I dual boot and
> was able to copy them from a Linux installation with a nearby version of
> glib.

I will include the files into the next installer version. Thanks.

>   Secondly, if you're going to include glib-gettextize, it might be
> nice to to include related utilities such as intltool.  :)

glib-gettextize is shipped because it is part of glib. However, intltool
isn't. It's not contained in the GTK+ all-in-one-bundle either.

>   My main problem though is that now I have the development environment
> installed, and my application built, I want to start thinking about
> building an installer - but I cannot install the runtime environment
> (which contains the versions of the DLLs recommended for redistribution)
> without uninstalling the development environment!  This is quite
> inconvenient for someone with a limited number of Windows machines at
> their disposal.  Any recommendations?

You could copy the DLL files from the runtime installer somewhere, and
then install the development one again. Or, simply run strip on the DLLs
from the development installer, which removes the debugging symbols.

For the next installer version, we plan to only ship one kind of
installer (a development installer which contains the files to
redistribute in a separate directory), so this should be fixed there
too. See also this discussion:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtkmm-list/2008-October/msg00146.html

> Regards
> --