Images

I am kinda new to gtkmm and i need a little help.

I am trying to load an image and display it. I tried using the image class and then giving it a filename, and it starts up but the image does not get displayed. I tried with an incorrect filename and it failed as expected so it wasnt the file. I also tried it by using the create_from_file and that works. It creates pixbuf of the correct size but when i pass it on to the image the image still has a height of 1 even though the pixbuf says 48.
Can someone help me out in understanding why the image is not being displayed and how to to actually do it correctly?

-Stoyan