Pixbuf problems

I have 3 pixbufs, all 3 have alpha channels. But i am having problems with them.

Basically what i do is add 2 smaller pixbufs on top one another one. I do that by using:

small->copy_area(0, 0, IMG_SIZE, IMG_SIZE, pixbuf, 1, 1);
small2->copy_area(0, 0, IMG_SIZE, IMG_SIZE, pixbuf, IMG_SIZE+2, 1);

The problem is that small and small2 have some transparent parts but when i draw the resulting pixbuff it has white for the transparent parts. I think it has to do with using copy_area, is there a different/better method i can use that will do what i want?

-Stoyan