spacing not removed from layout when hiding widget?

I want to be able to hide and re-show widgets dynamically in my application
Yet, if I specify a spacing for the container containg those widgets, the spacing is still there even when my hidgets are hidden. Is that a normal behaviour? how can i avoid this?

Thanks.

e.g.:   (where W stands for widget, S for spacing)

- If all four widgets are visible : | W1-S-W2-S-W3-S-W4 |
- and when I hide widget 2 and 3, i have: | W1-S-S-S-W4 |
- while I wish I had : | W1-S-W4 |