Re: Window will not expose

>> First of all, this makefile is not building anything with debugging information (-g) so I'm guessing that you haven't run this under a debugger to inspect the
>> behavior at all.  I'd encourage you to do that rather than relying too heavily on debugging-by-print-statements.

Since I have only taken and introduction to C++ class I never really learned how to use a debugger in general.  Most languages I have taught  myself or had a quick crash course in my engineering classes, as you have probably seen while looking at my code.

>> So I think there are a few issues mixed together here.  When you register an io handler, it will use the default priority (G_PRIORITY_DEFAULT) unless
>> otherwise specified.  This priority is apparently higher than the priority for re-drawing events (see [1]), so if there is io ready to be handled, it seems that it will
>> always take priority over the redraw (in your current code).  Combine this with the fact that you're actually calling the read_line() function in your expose
>> handler rather than in your io handler, and what you have is Update() being called in a sort of an infinite loop with no data ever being read.
>> (as a side note, you're never checking the return value of your read_line() call, so even if your read_line() function was getting called as desired, you would
>> continue attempting to process data long after the end of file actually occurred).

>> I have hacked up a few changes to your code that gets things to a semi-working state, but it'll probably require a bit more work to get it working properly.
>> hopefully it's enough to give you some ideas though.

>> [1] http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/unstable/glib-The-Main-Event-Loop.html#G-PRIORITY-HIGH-IDLE:CAPS

Thanks a lot for all your help Jonner,  I got it to animate my screen still have a couple of things to work out but I would like to try and fix it on my own first before harassing everyone here.  Just one questoin, would enabling the glitz backend provide better performance than using the current xserver backend?

--
HAHA
   From Evan