How to get the absolute position of an EventBox?

I've just started to learn GTK+ and I'm migrating to gtkmm. In GTK, I could get the absolute position of an EventBox with the allocation inherited from Widget. So to get the x position, I just used the following code:

int x = GTK_WIDGET(applet)->allocation.x;

Now that I've converted to gtkmm, I use the corresponding code, but it always return 0. There is the code:

int x = applet->get_allocation().get_x();

The variable applet is Gnome::Panel::Applet, from libpanelappletmm and I don't know if it's an issue from this library or from gtkmm, since it inherits Gtk::EventBox.

All I need is to get the absolute position. Other alternatives are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Rafael