expander label widget question

Hello,

I have a Gtk::HBox that contains a Gtk::Label and a Gtk::Button.  If I set this HBox to be the expander label widget (Gtk::Expander::set_label_widget(hbox)), I can't click the button.  It seems like all of the X button presses are going only to the Gtk::Expander object.  The buttons signal_clicked() handler never gets called.  Any idea how to make this button clickable.

Hopefully my description makes sense.  If not, I can include some example code.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
-Brian.