gtkmm on Windows: Last steps

It looks like we are almost done with the gtkmm on Windows effort. I
have just a couple of questions:

1.
http://live.gnome.org/gtkmm/MSWindows
says
"make sure the "Add the gtkmm runtime directory to the PATH variable"
option is checked. This is required for Windows to find the gtkmm DLL
files."
But:

1.1
If you should make sure that it is checked, why is it an option? The
page should tell us how to make the decision.
1.2
I thought that applications would find the DLLs because they are in the
same directory. Why is something in the PATH environment variable also
needed? I don't understand why MS Visual Studio would need it either if
we are using these "property pages".

2.
The wiki page should make it clear that the runtime-only installer
installs stripped (no debug symbols) for mingw, but that the non-debug
DLLs are the same for other compilers, because it is harder for build
systems to automatically choose between stripped and debug versions on
that platform. We should make it clear that it's probably the stripped
DLLs that you want to redistribute with your application.

3.
Have we yet found a use for the silent install? If not, why do we
mention it?

4.
Would someone like to update this section in the gtkmm book (in the
gtkmm-documentation module in svn), and just refer to the live.gnome.org
page where appropriate, instead of repeating:
http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/sec-windows-installation.html
Otherwise we'll have to remove it.

www.openismus.com