Re: gtkmm and gtk-osx

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 02:51 -0700, Chris Share wrote:
> So the next question is, how do I point gtkmm at gtk-osx rather than gtk+ (which is the default)?
>
> Is this done by setting #include <gtkmm.h> to the gtk-osx version of the header?
>
> I'm using pkg-config in the build so I guess I need to change where it points.
>
> Or is it more complicated?

it can be a nightmare trying to do this on a system where you have
already installed the X11 versions of GTK via macports. when i started
doing this sort of thing, i spent several days slowly fixing problem
after problem until eventually,i had basically removed everything i ever
installed via macports.

you really have to make a committment to one version or the other. if
you plan to use gtk-osx, then i would advise you to hide or remove
anything that is part of the GTK dependency stack but what is installed
by macports. maybe i missed some simple way to avoid the problems, but
almost everything installed by macports (including autotools) caused
conflicts and problems when using jhbuild to build gtk-osx. possibly
clearing /opt/... from PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH would have
helped, but i needed *some* of the macports stuff initially (or rather,
i thought i did).

first thing to realize: you *must* build gtk-osx from source, along with
the whole GTK dependency stack. jhbuild makes this pretty easy, most of
the time.

just follow the build instructions, and you'll have gtk-osx installed in
~/gtk/inst

you then set PKG_CONFIG_PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH to refer to
that, and subsequently, everything is peachy. any subsequent build
process with use the GTK  from gtk/osx.

--p